5 Challenges to get you inspired
Smart City Hack evolves around 5 areas of action. Find here a small description of each and for more information, examples and inspiration please check with each of our participating Cities and find out what is their own, local focus on these challenges.
Culture and Tourism
Enjoying the cultural offer of a city is paramount to the wellbeing of citizens and a positive travel experience of visitors. The culture and tourism theme aims to harness the potential of mobile applications to give new impulses to the culture in the City.
Solutions for Culture and Tourism should deal with, but are not limited to the following aspects:
- give access to the cultural agenda to all citizens and visitors in your city
- help artists and any cultural agent in their work
- connect makers of culture with their audience
- offer personalized experiences for visitors
- facilitate meaningful connections between visitors and citizens
- help manage the flow of visitors in a city
Traffic and transportation is a major of any urban environment where density, infrastructure, public transportation, weather and layout all play a major role. While each city has its own, this theme focuses on how better access to information and services can lead to more efficient and effective mobility in the city.
Solutions for Urban Mobility should deal with, but are not limited to the following aspects:
- inform users on traffic condition.
- guide users in choosing the right means of transportation
- help promote the use of sustainable mobility.
If you are in Spain, check out the mobility challenges put forward at the SmartCAT Challenge as part of the SmartCityHack!
Energy and Emissions
As most of humanity moves to live in cities, energy efficiency and emissions control becomes a critical factor for our health as individuals, communities and as a planet. While many aspects of this issue are quite systemic and technology-driven, significant changes can take place from changes in our behaviour. How can we know more, spend less and live better are key questions and answers for advancement.
Solutions for Energy and Emissions should deal with, but are not limited to the following aspects:
- help cut wasteful energy consumption
- give tools to reduce energy spendings
- improve transparency and visualization of energy consumption
- provide Hints and tips on saving energy
- facilitate automation and control of energy consumption of electronic home devices
Health and Wellbeing
The right to healthcare access is fundamental in our society and should be a universal right, accessible to all, with special consideration for people with disabilities. Offering the best tools and solutions for an integral sanitary care and quality has a short and long tern return on benefits for the whole system. Therefore we should achieve new forms for monitorizing our health, accessing the installations, services and products necessary and interacting with the medical personnel in a quick and efficient manner.
When it comes to defining cities, citizenship participation is paramount. In a collaborative city, local communities come together to address some of their own challenges in a collaborative way. Whether it is caring for our young, old and ill or tendering to the socially excluded apps can provide solutions at scale. The collaborative city connects citizens with the decision making process in all questions of public affairs. It offers it residents tools to actively shape their communities.
Solutions for the collaborative city should deal with, but are not limited to the following aspects:
- enable users to take part in the making-decision process.
- allow users to make informed decisions.
- help users to report their opinions around specific communal issues.
- empower users to create their own tools and solutions.
- improve efficiency and efficacy of the citizens’ participation process.