Welcome to the Phoenix Smart City Hack 2017!The Smart City Hack (SCH) is back and we are kicking off the largest civic innovation initiative in the Southwest. In partnership with the City of Phoenix, Cox Communications, and US Ignite, the Institute for Digital Progress is calling all entrepreneurs, innovators, and makers to join this premier civic app hack competition.
Submit your project and win a trip to present in Barcelona! Submission ends on the 22nd of September!
Find the Solution
The 2017 Phoenix competition focuses around four main challenge tracks: Transportation, Health, Sustainability, and Education. The 2017 will also see a new WILDCARD category for any technology solutions that can help improve our cities that might not fit into one of the other four categories. Entrepreneurs and startups with tools and technology in these five categories are invited to compete.
Who should participate?
- Entrepreneurs – Are you trying to start a technology business that could improve the quality of life for the public?
- Innovators – Do you have an idea that would improve our city and enrich the lives of citizens?
- Makers – Can you create a product that will provide benefit across sectors to make life just a little bit easier for those who use it?
SCH 2017 is open to all persons that have an idea or dream, and believe they can help make our region a better, more sustainable, and more resilient place to call home!
By participating in the SCH 2017 program all registered members will have access to the following resources to further develop your idea:
- Expert Mentorship from local technology experts, educators, and business professionals Development Workshops where participants will have direct access to mentors to work directly on their solutions Network
- Access to smart cities across the globe looking for innovative solutions to civic issues
- Cash Prizes for winners at the end of the competition.
- The Grand Prize Winner will represent Phoenix and compete in the final award gala, which takes place in Barcelona at the Smart City Expo 2017 in November (airfare, and lodging expenses covered)
Eligibility & Evaluation Criteria
The Smart City Hack is open to all technologies including apps, IoT, software, devices, or any other tech tool from individuals, teams, and companies. Valid submissions are those covering one or more of the 5 areas covered in the challenge section.
SCH submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Addresses the focus areas and solves a real user’s need
- Technical and operational feasibility
- Economic and financial sustainability
- Creativity and innovation
- Use of one or more of the resources promoted by the cities, like the FIWARE GEs, Mastercard APIs, City of Phoenix Open Data sets, etc
What you can win
June 3rd, 2017 – Gigabit in Education Workshop: Mozilla Foundation & Call for Entries Period Opens
July 8th, 2017 - Ideathon
TBD – Working Session
TBD – Working Session
September 22nd, 2017 – Call for entries Period Ends
October 8th, 2017 – Finalists selected
TBD – Pitch Practice and presentation workshop
TBD – Finale Event
November 14th – 16th – Smart City World Congress in Barcelona Spain